Africa PPP Advisory Services and Tetra Tech are delivering a major HMG funded infrastructure reform programme in Nigeria, UKNIAF.
The work of the Infrastructure Finance team has two components: supporting selected state level PPP programmes through the transaction cycle; and supporting Federal Government counterparts to make better decisions on which infrastructure projects to support using objective decision support tools.
All UKNIAF’s work is climate smart and ICF funded. This means that the Infrastructure Finance support the programme puts forward must contribute to ICF KPIs.
The component is well established with a strong project pipeline and good institutional relationships at a Federal and state level. It now requires new leadership able to refine the strategic direction of the sector and drive up the quality of delivery.
What you will be doing
- Designing the technical activities for the year across the PPP and capital budgeting work areas.
- Acting as the senior strategist and thought leader in these technical areas. Conceptualising what climate smart delivery means in practice and ensuring that the team are delivering the vision.
- Quality assurance and project planning, rolling your sleeves up to fix emerging problems where necessary.
- Finding solutions when it comes to understanding what is feasible in terms of measuring our climate impact and selling them to the client and the counterparts.
What you won’t be doing
- You don’t need to be in every meeting in every sub-task, but you do need to set up monitoring systems which will allow you to discern when something is going wrong and fix it.
- Working on the financials or contracting, we have a dedicated project manager who will lead on this.
- Re-scoping. We need to move at pace given the Nigerian election cycle and FCDO’s programming approach.
- We will need to find creative solutions to imperfect scenarios, not start with a blank sheet of paper.
We are not prescriptive about background, field of expertise or years of experience, but the successful candidate will meet most of the following conditions:
- You must have proven experience managing the transaction lifecycle for infrastructure projects in emerging markets. We have a strong local team to leverage off so Nigerian implementation experience is not essential, but the successful candidate will have a multi-country track record of managing the
transaction lifecycle successfully from pipeline screening to financial close.
- You will offer a deep familiarity with the climate finance space, including a strong set of existing relationships with DFIs and an ability to understand at a high level of detail how the programme can utilise its support to Nigerian government actors in the infrastructure finance space to help Nigeria deliver on its NDC commitments.
- You will have worked with FCDO or another major donor as a counterpart in a project implementation role. You will understand the development context of delivery and respect the high standards of ethical conduct required in the role.
- You will be a strong writer with an ability to express ideas concisely commensurate with the ability of your audience. You will have natural diplomatic skills and an ability to quickly build trust across the seniority spectrum.
This is not a recruitment exercise in which we are looking for the longest CV – rather we want a candidate who can meet the above requirements but communicates a sense of dynamism and technical competence essential to make the most of the opportunities for progress that UKNIAF now has.
This is a senior position leading the body of UKNIAF’s technical work. The initial contract will be for one year with the possibility of renewal.
Project accommodation, four flights home a year and all in-country project travel will also be provided. We would prefer the selected candidate to be resident in Nigeria but will discuss for the right candidate.
This position is required urgently so that we can have the right candidate engaged in the design of our implementation activities for the start of the new UK financial year in early April.
If you are interested, please write to email@example.com with a copy of your CV and a brief covering email explaining how you meet the criteria above. Please include ‘IF Transaction Lead Application’ in the subject of your e-mail to ensure that it is reviewed.
We will recruit on an ongoing basis so early applications are advised.